Four Tips for People Enrolling in Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare 02 Jan 14

The Department of Human Services and MNsure has announced tips for people enrolling in public programs for Jan. 1 coverage. Tomorrow, Dec. 31, marks the last day people can enroll for Jan. 1 coverage and these tips will help those that already have coverage and those that are still looking to apply.

“As we near the deadline to apply we want everyone who wants coverage through Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare Jan. 1 to know the best way to get it,” said DHS Commissioner Lucinda Jesson.

I’ve applied and been approved for a public program, do I need to do anything else?
No. If you’ve received a notice in the mail approving you for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare then you don’t need to do anything else for Jan. 1 coverage.

I’ve been approved but haven’t received a membership card yet, can I still access care?
Yes. Nearly 30,000 membership cards are being mailed this week but you may not get your member card by Jan. 1. If you received an official Health Care Notice in the mail, that will serve as proof of insurance for your clinic or pharmacy. If you do not have a notice, your clinic or pharmacy can verify eligibility and obtain your ID number. If they need help, the Provider Help Desk will be available, with expanded hours, at DHS.

I’ve just applied and haven’t received anything in the mail yet, can I still get care?
If you’ve only recently applied and haven’t received a notice in the mail call the DHS Member Help Desk at 651-431-2670 or 1-800-657-3739 to find out if you’re eligible and receive your ID number. If you are enrolled, then your clinic or pharmacy can verify your eligibility.

***IMPORTANT*** Do not wait until you are completely out of medicine to go to the pharmacy. When possible, request your refill at least two days before you will run out of medicine. The extra time will allow the pharmacy and DHS to identify and work through any processing issues with your application.

I haven’t applied yet but still want to get coverage; do I need to use the website?
Applying online is still the best and quickest way to find out whether you are eligible for public programs. However, if you’re having trouble with the MNsure website and you’re seeking coverage for public programs Jan. 1 you can submit a paper application. Paper applications must be received by 6 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2013, for Jan. 1 coverage.

To submit a paper application, download the paper application at

If you need assistance completing the application you can get help through the assistor network. A list of application assistors can be found at:

Submit the completed and signed paper applications by:

Fax to 651-431-7750. It is a good idea to save your fax confirmation page as proof of submission.
In-Person Submission at the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Elmer L. Andersen Human Services Building (First floor), 540 Cedar Street St. Paul, MN 55101 or at your county human services agency. Staff will be available at the Minnesota Department of Human Services until 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 31, to accept paper applications.
Applicants and enrollees for public programs should call the DHS Member Help Desk at 651-431-2670 or 1-800-657-3739.

The Member and Provider Help Desks will be open on Jan. 1, 2014, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Starting Jan. 2, 2014, Member and Provider Help Desks hours will be 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.